[Learning English Daily] - Lesson: Go Overboard

Posted by Unknown On 23/10/12

Intro

Ships might seem big, but they can only hold so much. If you keep filling a ship with stuff, something will eventually go overboard and fall into the water. To go overboard means to do too much. Going overboard, even with a good thing, can make other people upset.
Amanda recently learned she has a lot of work to do before Mason will take her back. She has a plan to get back into his good graces with favors and gifts. Will the plan win him back, or is she going overboard?

Dialogue (Download Audio Here)

Mason: What the….There is no dirt on this mop. What gives?
Devan:  Don’t look at me. It was Amanda. She took out the trash, too.
Mason:  What?
Devan:  And dusted.
Mason:  What? Lemon. She remembered.
Devan:  She sure is going overboard to show you how much she cares.
Mason:  I do not clean back here often enough.
Amanda:  Hi, Mason.
Mason:  Hey.
Amanda:  Um, so I know you’ve told me that you’re not ready for a relationship, and I completely respect that, but I still really want to give you this.
Mason:  Wow.
Amanda:  So, here.
Mason:  It’s not even my birthday. You shouldn’t have. Here, hold this.
Amanda:  OK.
Mason:  Oh wow, a watch! And it’s real? Amanda, this is awesome, but I mean, why?
Amanda:  Well, you’re always telling me how you need more time before you can let someone back in there. So that’s what I’m giving you.
Mason:  Time, watch, I get it. I get it. That must have cost you a fortune though. I kind of feel like you’re going overboard with a gift like this.
Amanda:  No. Shh. Mason, no, no, no. Just stop talking and take it.
Amanda:  Mason, wait. Hey!
Mason:  Hey, Amanda.
Amanda:  I just wanted to tell you that I have a car waiting for you around the corner. Maybe not so much a car as it is a limo. Just in case the chauffeur doesn’t recognize you from the picture that I emailed him earlier, you should let him know that…
Mason:  Amanda, stop. Seriously you do not have to be doing all of this. You’re really going overboard.
Amanda:  I would go overboard for you, Mason. I would literally jump off a ship, dive into the ocean and do whatever it takes to tell you and prove to you that I love you.
Mason:  Amanda you’re…you’re not understanding me. You don’t have to do anything. You just have to be you.
Amanda:  What do you mean?
Mason:  I mean I’m crazy about you, Amanda.
Amanda:  I’m crazy about you too, Mason.
Mason:  Then you better come here.
Amanda:  OK.
Amanda:  Wow. You sure you don’t want to catch that limo ride?
Mason:  Only if you’ll come with me.
Amanda:  OK.

Discussion

Mason comes to the office and finds all his work has already been done. Devan tells him that Amanda has cleaned everything. She says Amanda seems to be going overboard to show Mason that she cares.
Later, Amanda presents Mason with a gift. It’s an expensive watch! She explains that since Mason said he needed more time before he trusted her, time is literally what she is giving him. Mason understands the joke, but worries that she spent too much money and tells her not to go overboard.
As Mason is leaving work, Amanda runs after him and tells him she has a limo waiting to drive him home. Mason tells her to stop going overboard, because he is already crazy about her. Amanda happily says she feels the same way, and they go take a limo ride together.
It looks like Amanda’s plan worked! Do you think she was going overboard? Have you ever gone overboard to express how you feel or get what you want?

Grammar Point

Contractions and Abbreviations
When Devan says, “Don’t look at me,” and when Mason says, “You shouldn’t have,” they are using contractions.
Sometimes, we shorten or combine words by creating contractions. This is especially common in spoken English.
Usually, to make a contraction, we remove a letter or letters from a word and replace the letter(s) with an apostrophe (‘). Don’t is short for do not, and shouldn’t is short for should not.
Can you find more contractions in this lesson?

Quiz

  1. What does it mean to go overboard?
  2. Why is Amanda giving Mason a watch?
  3. How do you make a contraction out of “do not?”
  4. “You’ll” is short for __.
Answer Key: 1:C 2:C 3:D 4:B
Help:
- go overboard: do too much, be excessive or extreme
- good graces: benefiting from someone's good opinion
- what gives: what's the deal, please explain this
- you shouldn't have: thanks for the unexpected gift
- get it: understand or comprehend, realize
- limo: limousine, a large luxury car with a driver
- chauffeur: a person employed to drive a car for passengers
- literally: actually, truthfully, truly
- crazy about: really like or enjoy
Something you need it:

limo n.

Definition

limousine; a large luxury car with a driver

Example

My friends and I rented a limo for our trip to Las Vegas.

chauffeur n.

Definition

a person employed to drive a car for passengers

Example

The chauffeur jumped out of the car to open the door for the President.

literally adj.

Definition

actually; truthfully; truly

Example

I am literally falling asleep at my desk. I am too tired to do anymore work.

be crazy about expr.

Definition

really like or enjoy

Example

I'm crazy about ice cream. I wish I could eat it five times per day.

go overboard expr.

Definition

do too much, be excessive or extreme

Example

I love movies, but watching four in a row is going overboard!
Sarah's soups always have just the right amount of flavor. She never goes overboard with the salt.

good graces expr.

Definition

benefiting from someone's good opinion

Example

Tom did Faye's homework for her to win her good graces.

what gives expr.

Definition

what's the deal, please explain this

Example

You're an hour late. What gives?

you shouldn't have expr.

Definition

thanks for the unexpected gift

Example

Oh you brought me flowers? You shouldn't have!

get it v.

Definition

understand or comprehend; realize

Example

I don't get it. Why would Dale want to move to Alaska?
Don't you get it? He's just not into you.
Oh, now I get it. In English, the subject comes before the verb.